Makes 12 Muffins @ 75 calories, 2g fat, 0.8 carbs, 6.8g protein.
6 ounces breakfast sausage – I love the Maple Sausage in the butcher case at Whole Foods.
10 egg whites
5 whole eggs
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup fresh chopped vegetables – I used red, yellow and green peppers along with green onions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium skillet, brown the sausage on medium-high heat. Cook until sausage is brown all the way through. Drain. Place sausage in a bowl lined with paper towels to remove and excess grease. Cut sausage into 1/2 inch pieces. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg whites and eggs. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Grease 12 muffin tin cups with cooking spray or line cups with paper liners. Pour egg mixture evenly into the muffin cups.
4. Distribute the vegetables and sausage equally between each muffin cup. I filled my cups all of the way to the top.
5. Bake egg muffins for 20 minutes, or until the muffins are firm in the center. Remove from oven and gently go round each egg with a butter knife. Serve warm.
Note: you can store the egg muffins in the fridge for 3-4 days and reheat them in the microwave. Enjoy!